Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 Remote Disk Management from Windows 7 on a Domain

I'm in the process of migrating a build machine to a Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 SP1 setup. I'm relatively new to Hyper-V, and may also be comparing with other options. The Hyper-V Server is joined to the domain, all standard remote management options from the console are turned on. I could connect with the Hyper-V Manager from a Windows 7 machine fine, but could not remotely manage the disks in Windows 7. I read this post and here is what worked for me.

On the connecting machine, Windows 7, I had to add the following firewall rule:

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Remote Volume Management" new enable=yes

Remote management of Services was working, and I had enabled Virtual Disk Service on the Hyper-V box. Following a reboot, I could finally manage the disks remotely.

Prior to this, I believe any servers on the domain could manage them - just not my Windows 7 workstation.


This is only the beginning of my hypervisor adventures, as I try to convert 10 physical build machines running Jenkins masters into a fully virtualized fleet, double the amount of builds that occur, and centralize to 1 hudson master. I'll try to chronicle my findings here on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment